Thursday 9 July 2015

The sunscreen dilemma

First of all, if like me you are allergic to face creams, please try Epaderm cream. I love it. I have previously used aqueous cream (which I later learnt shouldn't even be used as a moisturiser, don't trust your GP), doublebase (very greasy) and diprobase (very heavy). Epaderm is perfect. I was prescribed the emollient because my skin was so dry (during my allergic reaction I was afraid to put anything on it), but the cream is great as an everyday moisturiser. I use the emollient on places where I have ezcema and it works really well. I do get envious that people get to use all these fancy creams, and that my friends might all look 10 years younger than me with their anti-aging creams but at the moment, I'm just so grateful to find a moisturiser that works.
Now onto the sunscreen. I was given samples to try such as Sunsense and Eucerin but have been allergic to all of them. Thankfully I was given a foundation by a great Chinese doctor at hospital. I'm afraid you can only get hold of it at Salford Royal. No one seems to have ever heard of it so I restock when I go in for my check ups. He gave me two colours but the beige is perfect for me. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere without it but my problem is that my arms react to the sun too, and I can't have the foundation ruining my clothes as I have to wear long sleeves. That's how my quest started for everyday sunscreen.

I will try and summarise all the information I've been trawling through on the net as quickly as possible. If you are allergic to sunscreens, you need a physical sunscreen (sunblock) as opposed to the chemical ones on the high street. There are two types, zinc oxide and titanium oxide. Zinc seems to be the best as it covers UVA and B which I need. I chose the one with only a handful of ingredients, Badger organic sunscreen SPF30 (http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-462-organic-sunscreen-cream-spf30-unscented.aspx).
Pros:
I'm not allergic!
Cons:
White face
Quite thick to apply
Break out in small spots if I apply this everyday

Unfortunately I have not tried any other physical sunscreens yet. Apparently they all leave a white residue, if they don't you might be dealing with nano-particle zinc which is said to be harmful. I'm on the search to see if there is anything better suited to me and there are a few brands I will be trying in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.
For the time being, my routine for a day out in the sun is, sunscreen foundation on my face, Badger sunscreen on my arms covered by a long-sleeved top and a wide-brimmed hat. My next post will be on hats, as I've had multiple problems with them, especially on an active day out.



No comments:

Post a Comment